Kamis, 24 April 2014
Npm : 27211891
Class : 3EB09
Rabu, 19 Maret 2014
Award is a form of appreciation for the achievements or the hard work that we have done. I have no award so much. The form of award that I have is scholarship. Thank God almighty when I was in elementary school I always got first ranking in my class. I always got first until I was in 4th grade. So as form of my accomplishment that I have I got scholarship. At that time I never paid school tuition. In elementary school me and my friends also joined the qiratul quran. It was a kind of a contest that you have to read quran well. And we won it. I also got scholarship from English course institute. When I graduate senior high school I studied at LIA English course. I got scholarship as an outstanding student for three consecutive levels.
Selasa, 18 Maret 2014
TOEFL is an abbreviation of the Test Of English as a Foreign Language. This test is used to know an ability of people in english. It is a registered trademark of the Educational Testing Service (ETS) and administered worldwide. In 1964, TOEFL for the first time is given for public. According to ETS the participants who joined this test in 1964 to 2008 are about 24 million. The test is divided into three parts and given the limit for every parts which are use multiple choise questions.
Toefl test conists of a reading tes, writing, listening and speaking. First Toefl test are only use 2 system based test,paper and computer - based test. But since 2005 the interned- based test replaced the previous test.
TOEFL formerly named CAL (Center of Applied Linguistics) based in Washington DC and estabilished in1959. CAL was a non-profit that was committed to researching the relationship between language and culture. Their first director was Charles A. Ferguson (1921-1998) who was a professor at Harvard University. One of his early project was a development test that measure the language instruction ESL (English as a Second Language). Ferguson and Researchers developed toefl test during the first five years of CAL.
The TOEFL test no term failure and are not required to repeat. But TOEFL has the lowest and highest score. TOEFL test is usually taken by students who will continue their education abroad. This is because the TOEFL test showed the ability in the English language, the higher score you get the more you show your English language ability. Students who have high TOEFL score is also one of the keys to enter the desired university. Because some countries such as Japan and America is usually a requirement that prospective students must have a high toefl score.
In Indonesia there are some institutes that provide TOEFL test. So this is your choise from what institude that provide TOEFL will you take. If you are interesting to school abroad. But the most important thing you have to do is you have to enrich your English. Maybe first thing you should do is you have to be brave to speak English. Brave to speak to the native. Don't be afraid to wrong. Because you never learn on something if you never do something wrong.
NPM : 27211891
Class : 3EB09
Exercise 21 : Conditional Sentences
1. Henry talks to his dog as if it ______ (understood) him.
• Henry talks to his dog as if it understood him.
2. If they had left the house earlier, they (be;negative) so late getting to the airport that they could not check their baggage.
• If they had left the house earlier, the would be negative so late getting to the airport that they could not check their baggage.
3. If I finish the dress before Saturday, I ______ (give) it to my sister for her birthday.
• If I finish the dress before Saturday, I will give it to my sister for her birthday.
4. If I had seen the movie, I ______ (tell) you about it last night.
• If I had seen the movie, I would have told you about it last night.
5. Had Bob not interfered in his sister’s marital problems, there ____ (be) peace between them.
• Had Bob not interfered in his sister’s marital problems, there would have been peace between them.
6. He would give you the money if he ____ (have) it.
• He would give you the money if he had it.
7. I wish they ______ (stop) making so much noise so that I could concentrate.
• I wish they stopped making so much noise so that I could concentrate.
8. She would call you immediately if she ______ (need) help.
• She would call you immediately if she had needed help.
9. Had they arrived at the sale early, they _____ (find) a better selection.
• Had they arrived at the sale early, they would have founded a better selection.
10. We hope that you ______ (enjoy) the party last night.
• We hope that you will enjoy the party last night.
11. If you have enough time, please _____ (paint) the chair before you leave.
• If you have enough time, please paint the chair before you leave.
12. We would go for a drive if today _____ (be) Saturday.
• We would go for a drive if today was Saturday.
13. If she wins the prizes, it will be because she _____ (write) very well.
• If she wins the prizes, it will be because she writes very well.
14. Mike wished that the editors ______ (permit) him to copy some of their material.
• Mike wished that the editors could permit him to copy some of their material.
15. Joel wishes that he _______ (spend) his vacation on the Gulf Coast next year.
• Joel wishes that he will spend his vacation on the Gulf Coast next year.
16. I ______ (accept) if they invite me to the party.
• I will accept if they invite me to the party.
17. If your mother ______ (buy) that car for you, will you be happy?
• If your mother buys that car for you, will you be happy?
18. If he ______ (decide) earlier, he could have left on the afternoon flight.
• If he had decided earlier, he could have left on the afternoon flight.
19. Had we known your address, we ______ (write) you a letter.
• Had we known your address, we would have written you a letter.
20. If the roofer doesn’t come soon, the rain ______ (leak) inside.
• If the roofer doesn’t come soon, the rain will leak inside.
21. Because Rose did so poorly on the exam, she wishes that she ______ (study) harder last night.
• Because Rose did so poorly on the exam, she wishes that she could study harder last night.
22. My dog always wakes me up if he _____ (hear) strange noises.
• My dog always wakes me up if he can hear strange noises.
23. If you ______ (see) Mary today, please ask her to call me.
• If you see Mary today, please ask her to call me.
24. If he _______ (get) the raise, it will be because he does a good job.
• If he gets the raise, it will be because he does a good job.
25. The teacher will not accept our work if we ______ (turn) it in late.
• The teacher will not accept our work if we turn it in late.
26. Mrs. Wood always talks to her tenth-grade students as though they _______ (be) adults.
• Mrs. Wood always talks to her tenth-grade students as though they were adults.
27. If he had left already, he _____ (call) us.
• If he had left already, he would have called us.
28. If they had known him, they _____ (talk) to him.
• If they had known him, they would have talked to him.
29. He would understand it if you _______ (explain) it to him more slowly.
• He would understand it if you had explained it to him more slowly.
30. I could understand the French teacher if she _______ (speak) more slowly
• I could understand the French teacher if she had spoken more slowly
Exercise 26 : Adjective and Adverbs
1. Rita plays the violin (good/well).
• Rita plays the violin well
2. That is an (intense/intensely) novel.
• That is an intense novel.
3. The sun is shining (bright/brightly).
• The sun is shining brightly.
4. The girls speak (fluent/fluently) French.
• The girls speak fluent French.
5. The boys speak Spanish (fluent/fluently).
• The boys speak Spanish fluently.
6. The table has a (smooth/smoothly) surface.
• The table has a smooth surface.
7. We must figure our income tax returns (accurate/accurately).
• We must figure our income tax returns accurately.
8. We don’t like to drink (bitter/bitterly) tea.
• We don’t like to drink bitter tea.
9. The plane will arrive (soon/soonly).
• The plane will arrive soon.
10. He had an accident because he was driving too (fast/fastly).
• He had an accident because he was driving too fast.
Exercise 27 : Linking (Copulative) Verbs
1. Your cold sounds (terrible/terribly).
• Your cold sounds terrible.
2. The pianist plays very (good/well).
• The pianist plays very well.
3. The food in the restaurant always tastes (good/well).
• The food in the restaurant always tastes good.
4. The campers remained (calm/calmly) despite the thunderstorm.
• The campers remained calm despite the thunderstorm.
5. They became (sick/sickly) after eating the contaminated food.
• They became sick after eating the contaminated food.
6. Professor Calandra looked (quick/quickly) at the student’s sketches.
• Professor Calandra looked quickly at the student’s sketches.
7. Paco was working (diligent/diligently) on the project.
• Paco was working diligently on the project.
8. Paul protested (vehement/vehemently) about the new proposals.
• Paul protested vehemently about the new proposals.
9. Our neighbors appeared (relaxed/relaxedly) after their vacation.
• Our neighbors appeared relaxed after their vacation.
10. The music sounded too (noisy/noisily) to be classical.
• The music sounded too noisy to be classical.
Exercise 28 : Comparisons
1. John and his friends left _____ (soon) as the professor had finished his lecture.
• John and his friends left as soon as the professor had finished his lecture.
2. His job is ______ (important) than his friend’s.
• His job is more important than his friend’s.
3. He plays the guitar ______ (well) as Andre Segovie.
• He plays the guitar as well as Andre Segovie.
4. A new house is much ______ (expensive) than an older one.
• A new house is much more expensive than an older one.
5. Last week was ______ ( hot) as this week.
• Last week was as hot as this week.
6. Martha is _____ (talented) than her cousin.
• Martha is more talented than her cousin.
7. Bill’s descriptions are ______ ( colorful) than his wife’s.
• Bill’s descriptions are less colorfull than his wife’s.
8. Nobody is _____ (happy) than Maria Elena.
• Nobody is happier than Maria Elena.
9. The boys felt _____ (bad) than the girls about losing the game.
• The boys felt more badly than the girls about losing the game.
10. A greyhound runs _____ (fast) than a Chihuahua.
• A greyhound faster than Chihuahua.
Exercise 29 : Comparisons
1. The Empire State Building is taller _____ the Statue of Liberty.
• The Empire State Building is taller than Statue of Liberty.
2. California is farther from New York _____ Pensylvania.
• California is farther from New York than Pensylvania.
3. His assignment is different _____ mine.
• His assignment is different from mine.
4. Louie reads more quickly ______ his sisters.
• Louie reads more quickly than his sisters.
5. No animal is so big _____ King Kong.
• No animal is so big as King Kong.
6. That report is less impressive _____ the government’s.
• The report is less impressive than the government’s.
7. Sam wears the same shirt _____ his teammates.
• Sam wears the same shirt as his teammated.
8. Dave paints much more realistically _____ his professor.
• Dave paints much more realistically than his professor.
9. The twins have less money at the end of the month _____ they have at the beginning.
• The twins have less money at the end of the month than they have at the beginning.
10. Her sports car is different _____ Nancy’s.
• Her sports car is different from Nancy’s.
Exercise 30 : Comparisons
1. Of the four dresses, I like the red one (better/best).
• Of the four dresses, I like the red one best.
2. Phil is the (happier/happiest) person that we know.
• Phil is the happiest person that we know.
3. Pat’s car is (faster/fastest) than Dan’s.
• Pat’s car is faster than Dan’s.
4. This is the (creamier/creamiest) ice cream I have had in a long time.
• This is the creamiest ice cream I have had in a long time.
5. This poster is (colorfuler/more colorful) than the one in the hall.
• This poster is more colorful than the one in the hall.
6. Does Fred feel (weller/better) today than he did yesterday?
• Does Fred feel better today than he did yesterday?
7. This vegetable soup tastes very (good/well).
• This vegetable soup tastes very well.
8. While trying to balance the baskets on her head, the woman walked (awkwarder/more awkwardly) than her daughter.
• While trying to balance the baskets on her head, the woman walked more awkwardly than her daughter.
9. Jane is the (less/least) athletic of all the women.
• Jane is the least athletic of all women.
10. My cat is the (prettier/prettiest) of the two.
• My cat is the prettier of the two.
11. This summary is (the better/the best) of the pair.
• This summary is the best of the pair.
12. Your heritage is different (from/than) mine.
• Your heritage is different from mine.
13. This painting is (less impressive/least impressive) than the one in the other gallery.
• This painting is less impressive than the one in the other gallery.
14. The colder the weather gets, (sicker/the sicker) I feel.
• The colder the weather gets, sicker I feel.
15. No sooner had he received the letter (when/than) he called Maria.
• No sooner had he received the letter than he called Maria.
16. A mink coat costs (twice more than/twice as much as) a sable coat.
• A mink coat costs twice more than a sable coat.
17. Jim has a (little/few) opportunities to play tennis as I.
• Jim has a few opportunities to play tennis as I.
18. That recipe calls for (many/much) more sugar than mine does.
• That recipe calls for much more sugar than mine does.
19. The museum is the (farther/farthest) away of the three buildings.
• The museum is the fasrthest away of the three buildings.
20. George Washington is (famouser/more famous) than John Jay.
• George Washington is more famous than John Jay.