Exercise 35 : Passive Voice
1. President is called by somebody every day.
2. The other members are being called by John.
3. The documents were being delivered by Martha to the department.
4. The amendment has been replaced by the other members.
5. Th information had been received by the delegates before the recess.
6. the supplies should be bought by the teacher for this class.
7. Mr. Watson will be called by somebody tonight.
8. Considerable damage has been caused by the fire.
9. A new procedure was being developed by the company before the bankruptcy hearings began.
10. The papers will have been received by John tomorrow.
Excersie 36 : Causative Verbs
1. The teacher made Juan leave the room.
2. Toshiko had her car repaired by a mechanic.
3. Ellen got Marvin type her paper.
4. I made Jane call her friend on the telephone.
5. We got our house painted last week.
6. Dr. Byrd is having students write a composition.
7. The policeman made the suspect lie on the ground.
8. Mark got his transcripts sent to the university.
9. Maria is getting her hair cut tomorrow.
10. We will have to get the Dean sign this form.
11. The teacher let Al leave the classroom.
12. Maria got Ed wash the pipettes.
13. She always has her car fixed by the same mechanic.
14. Gene got his book published by a subsidy publisher.
15. We have to help Janet find her keys.
Exercise 37 : Relative Clauses
1. The last record which produced by this company became a gold record.
2. Checking accounts that require a minimum balance are very common now.
3. The professor whom you spoke yesterday is not here today.
4. John whose grades are highest in the school has received a scholarship.
5. Felipe bought a camera which has three lenses.
6. Frank is the man who we are going to nominate for the office of treasurer.
7. The doctor is with a patient whose leg was broken in an accident.
8. Jane is the woman who is going to China next year.
9. Janet wants a typewriter that self-corrects.
10. This book which I found last week contains some useful information.
11. Mr. Bryant whose team has lot the game looks very sad.
12. James wrote an article which indicated that he dislike the president.
13. The director of the program who graduated from Harvard University is planning to retire next year.
14. This is the book that I have been looking for all year.
15. William whose brother is a lawyer wants to become a judge.
Exercise 38 : Relative Clause Reduction
1. George is the man chosen to represent the committee at the convention.
2. All of the money accepted has already been released.
3. The papers on the table belong to Patricia.
4. The man brought to the police station confessed to the crime.
5. The girl drinking coffee is Mary Allen.
6. John’s wife, a professor, has written several papers on this subject.
7. The man talking to the policeman is my uncle.
8. The book on the top shelf is the one that I need.
9. The number of students counted is quite high.
10. Leo Evans, a doctor, eats in this restaurant every day.
Exercise 39 : Subjunctive
1. The teacher demanded that the student leave the room.
2. It was urgent that he call her immediately.
3. It was very important that we delay discussion.
4. She itends to move that the committee suspend discussion on this issue.
5. The King decreed that the new laws take effect the following month.
6. I propose that you should stop this rally.
7. I advise that you take the prerequisites before registering for this course.
8. His father prefers that he attenda a different university.
9. The faculty stipulated that the rule be abolished.
10. She urged that we find another alternative.
Exercise 40 : Inclusives
1. Julia speaks not only Spanish but also French.
2. She bought both the yellow sweater and the beige skirt.
3. They have houses both in the country an in the city.
4. He is not only industrious but also ingenious.
5. Her children have American cousins as well as Spanish ones.
6. Their European tour includes not only Germany and Austria but also Switzerland.
7. He bandaged the arm both tightly and quickly.
8. Clark not only practices law but also teaches it.
9. Tom Tryon is a playwright as well as an actor.
10. The bride’s bouquet included roses as well as orchids.